I went on a junk food expedition last weekend while travelling and so this week is all about the vegetables and eating clean. This salad is perfect for just that. It’s filling enough that I won’t be hungry in just a few hours and is so delicious that I don’t even need an excuse for it. Feel free to substitute the cranberries for whatever dried fruit you have at home, the pumpkin seeds for another nut or seed of your choice and the zucchini for another vegetable such as cucumber, grated carrots or blanched broccoli florets. A little of feta cheese would also be a great addition.
Cook the quinoa according to package instructions and let cool completely. Toss with remaining ingredients.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 cup of quinoa (white, red or black)
- 2 small zucchinis, chopped in bite size pieces
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 2 green onions minced
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp of cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)