This salad pulls itself together in no time and will satisfy that salad craving without leaving you still hungry. Halloumi cheese is terrific; it is salty and firm and will not melt away when grilled or cooked, giving you perfect grill marks every time and making it a great addition to any salad. For a great twist on this recipe, swap out the tomatoes for some watermelon, the bacon for some chorizo.
The quantities given are for an individual salad but feel free to go for it without calculation, go with what you like and honestly, you kind of want leftovers with this one as it makes a killer omelet the following day!
This salad can all be done from one skillet but if you opt out for grilling on the BBQ, you can grill the cheese directly on the grill (medium heat) and place a heat proof skillet directly on the grill to cook the bacon and shallots.
Preheat your skillet on medium heat and cook your bacon until crispy and reserve. In the same skillet, using the bacon fat, cook your shallots until they become crispy as well and reserve. If using croutons, crisp them up in the remaining fat and reserve. Cut your cheese in slices or cubes depending on how you would like to present your salad and cook until they become golden and reserve.
Toss the salad with the oil and vinegar and arrange on your serving plate. Add your remaining ingredients, top with fresh ground black pepper and dig in.
- Bacon chopped (or chorizo) (2 slices per person)
- Halloumi Cheese (2 1 cm slices per person)
- Tomatoes chopped (or watermelon) (1/2 a big tomato per person)
- Salad (2 cups per person)
- 1 slice of bread cut into cubes or 2 slices of baguette
- Shallot thinly sliced (1/2 shallot per person
- Olive oil (1 tsp per salad)
- Red wine vinegar (1/2 tsp per salad)
- Fresh ground black pepper